[NBLUG] Monthly General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Tue Jul 18 13:20:51 PDT 2000

Welcome, and good day party people!  Here's your latest NBLUG General
Meeting Announcement...

Last Month Recap
----------------

For those who attended our last meeting, you got to enjoy Eric standing in
front of the room waving his arms around trying desperately to fly out of
the country.  OK, well, it wasn't EXACTLY like that, but you get the
picture.  Instead, mostly his arms were flying as he was drawing like a mad
man on the white board discussing how to turn your Linux box into a router
and NAT (Network Address Translation) box for your home network.  It was a
good presentation, and has sparked a lot of good discussion on the
nblug-talk list.  Eric will be following up with two more presentations in
his series of Linux and the Home Network, so stay tuned for those.  They are
currently slated to cover using your Linux box as a file/print sharing box
and how to do simple firewalling with Linux.

NBLUG InstallFest Update
------------------------

I've gotten a couple of queries as to when the next InstallFest will be.
I'm currently looking at September or October, but don't really have any
preferences one way or the other.  I do know that it will certainly be
either of the two months...guaranteed.  If you have thoughts on when you
think the next InstallFest should be (given the choice of Sep or Oct), feel
free to drop me a line, or post on the nblug-talk list

General Meeting Announcement
----------------------------

OK.  Here it is.  You've slogged your way through all that other junk, and
now you've found your way to the real meat of the announcement.

Brad Cox (our very own NBLUG Webmaster) will be giving a presentation on
Linux IP-service clustering.  Specifically the talk will be centered on the
Linux Virtual Server (LVS) open source project.  Designing and implementing
a cluster of Linux boxes using LVS and some associated utilities to serve
TCP and UDP services will covered, as well as why one would want to do such
a thing and why one would want to do it this way.

Brad has informed me that he's actually working on slides - oh my!  Be
prepared what should be a very interesting technical discussion.

As always, our meetings are on the second Tuesday of the month (this one
falling on Aug 8) at 7:30PM.  Remember to get there early, as we stop
handing out door prize tickets once the meeting has started.

See you all there!

-Dustin

--
Founder & President