[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Mon Jun 4 13:07:55 PDT 2001

WHAT: NBLUG General Meeting
TOPIC: Linux Newbie Series: Compiling a Kernel
WHERE: O'Reilly (see NBLUG website for specifics)
WHEN: June 12th, 2001 @ 7:30PM

----

Hello all!  Our June meeting is just around the corner (8 days to be
specific).  For June we have a meeting for all the new Linux users out
there, and what we hope, will be the first of a series of talks targeted at
the user who is new to Linux and is interested in gaining some foundation
skills.

Our first talk in this series will be presented by yours truly and it will
be on how to compile a new kernel for your box.  I'm not going to be going
into exactly which drivers you need for what, or what each item in the
kernel configuration does.  This would be a long process and would end up
confusing most new users.  Instead, I'm hopping to give you enough of a
basic understanding on the steps involved in compiling your own kernel that
you can sit down with a fresh kernel and get a basic kernel compiled and
then learn more on your own from there.

I'll be covering things like :

* Where do I get the kernel sources?
* Why would I want to compile XX as a module?
* What are the various 'make' commands to building a kernel?
* What do I do with my kernel once I've got it built?

It should be a pretty fun and light talk..aside from just being informative.

Just as a heads up, next month, we'll have Mike and Andrew from SSU talking
about booting a Linux box over the network.  Stay tuned for further details
on that talk as July gets closer.

-Dustin

--
Founder & President