[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Mon Aug 6 17:10:57 PDT 2001

WHAT: NBLUG General Meeting
TOPIC: Sonoma State's ARS & Linux
WHERE: Sonoma State Campus, Schulz Info Center,
       Room 1121 (See below for specifics)
WHEN: August 14th, 2001 @ 7:30PM

----

    URGENT NOTE:  This meeting >> IS NOT << at O'Reilly.  Please read the
   section below labeled "Location and Directions" for information on this
                          month's meeting location.

Greetings everyone!  This month we thought we'd change it up and take the
group on a field trip for our meeting.  We'll be meeting at Sonoma State
this month (more info about location and directions below).  Mike (he
presented in July along with Andru about network booting and Linux) will be
talking about the Automated Retrieval System they have installed in the
library at SSU.  This system consists of shelves and a Linux controlled
robot that retrieves books out of bins for people that request them.  This
should be pretty cool to see up close and personal.

To get your geeks taste-buds watering a little bit, you can take a look at
Mike's site for some pictures and info:

http://mike.passwall.com/ars/

Here's a little more info I stole from an announcement Mike sent to the
discussion list a few months back (I hope you don't mind, Mike):

	One word of warning: "NDA"    ...

	SSU and I are under NDA for the project. Though I have full source
	code for the server side of things, I cannot comment on it, publish
	it, or describe the internal workings of their software. I also
	cannot go into much detail on the schematics of their robotic
	systems, or answer detailed questions on just what they have in the
	way of hardware. Last, I can't show you much in the way of memo's
	between the builder of the system and the university, the ARS
	manuals, or diagrams.

	However, I can discuss the general nature of the system, how we
	almost did not get this on Linux, but later came to be the first
	AS/RS (ARS) in the world (AFAIK) to use Linux as the OS of choice to
	control the system.

	I can also bring a VHS tape of the system running, and my own
	"personal" copy of their server software on my laptop in "demo mode"
	to show you the User Interface and options that our employees have
	for using the ARS. (I have permission from HK Systems to do this
	part.)

	What is the ARS?

	The ARS is an Automated Retrieval System designed to hold
	infrequently used or accessed books. 3 Large robotic cranes (1-3
	tons each) tower three stories tall in a 3 story tall chamber with 3
	aisles and 6 computer stations. Nearly 6,000 stainless steel bins
	exist in a 3 story tall rack skeleton. The system currently has
	about 250,000 items stored in it, and after compaction of items will
	likely have about 40-50% capacity in use.

	The cost of this system is about $2.2 Million, and is entirely
	controlled from one of 2 redundant Linux (x86 Dell PowerEdge)
	servers.

	SSU is the 3rd library to go live with an ARS. The first library was
	at CSUN, second at the University of E. Mich. Though UNLV started
	their ARS 1 year before us, they did not finish until after us and
	then start using it until about 5 months after we were open and in
	service.

	The presentation will likely mirror much of what I have placed
	on-line, but if you have questions beyond what is on-line, bring
	them to the presentation, or better yet, e-mail me so I may better
	prepare an answer for you. I'll try to answer your question directly
	in e-mail before the presentation and then put the Q and A up onto
	the site.

Mike can be reached at dugan at passwall.com in case you'd like to pre-ask a
question of him for the meeting.

>> Location and Directions <<

You probably saw the item at the top of this email that this meeting is NOT
going to be at our normal meeting place.  Here's the info on how to get to
the meeting location.  This info is courtesy of Mike who has graciously
taken care of doing all the leg-work involved with making arrangements at
SSU.  If you have any questions about the meeting location, please feel free
to contact yours truly at dustin at nblug.org and I'll do my best to get you
info ASAP.

The meeting will be at the normal time of 7:30.  We ask that you not show up
before 7:00PM.  The location will be room 1121 in the Schulz Library.

Here are some maps and directions that SSU makes available on their site:

	http://www.sonoma.edu/university/maps.html
	-- Master index of all interesting direction-related info.

	http://www.sonoma.edu/university/maps/schulzinfoctr.html
	-- Nice map of the campus with the library (Info Center) highlighted

Parking tips from Mike:

	http://www.nblug.org/schulz-library.gif
	-- Similar to the map above, but Mike has highlighted the parking
	areas, and also drawn a path to get to the right part of the library
	from Cotati Ave.

	I think you can find free parking east of the main entrance (seen
	in the middle-bottom the map of the campus as the southern tip of
	the parallel vertical lines.) Free parking along East Cotati Ave.
	(places where you do not find "No Parking" signs along the north
	side of East Cotati Ave. are not too much farther than the "paid"
	parking spots.

	I do not suggest parking at the Taco Bell as they have been known to
	tow people. They may not be so strict later in the evening, but
	people should be warned of that as a risk.

	If you buy a parking pass, then you are permitted to park in the
	parking lots for "unreserved" members. Please to not park with a
	parking pass: Visitor Parking, Reserved Parking, Zones denoted "no
	parking", illegal parking spots.

	Handicapped parking is available in the reserved lot areas, and on
	the West side of the library near the library loading zone.
	Handicapped parking is labeled. Handicapped spots within the
	university also require parking stickers AFAIK.

Well, that's all I can think to put into this announcement.  It's pretty
long as it is, so hopefully I've covered everything.  Like I said, please
contact me ASAP if you have any questions about the location.  If you know
folks who may not see this announcement, forward it on to them, or let them
know that we will not be at O'Reilly.

We hope to see you all there!

-Dustin

--