[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Tue Feb 5 20:59:14 PST 2002

WHAT: NBLUG General Meeting
TOPIC: SpringBox, An OpenSource project from dLoo (www.dloo.com)
WHERE: O'Reilly and Associates, Sebastopol
WHEN: February 12th, 2002 @ 7:30PM

----
Hello once again, everyone!

This month we've got some folks from a software company in Petaluma coming
to talk to us about an OpenSource project they are working on.  Their
project is called SpringBox.  Here's a few words from them directly about
their project:

	For the past two years our company, dLoo, has been developing a new
	way of creating and sharing open source software. The result of our
	work is a project called SpringBox.

	Before the Web, information was trapped in proprietary databases and
	couldn't be linked together. The Web overthrew that model, and
	replaced it with a model in which information was public and
	linkable. These two traits made the value of the information
	available online grow exponentially.

	Today, open source software is trapped on individual computers and
	can't be linked together. SpringBox makes it possible to build
	networks of software out of distributed units of code that live on
	the Internet. With SpringBox, open source developers can post code
	publicly, like web pages, and other developers can improve and
	extend their code by linking to it.

	We believe SpringBox has the potential to do for open source
	software what the Web did for online information. Our presentation
	will discuss SpringBox, this new unit of code (the Word) and the way
	that Words can be used to construct an extensible Linux software
	environments.

As always, please be sure to show up a little before the meeting time so the
meeting can get underway as close to 7:30 as possible.

Also, don't forget we have an InstallFest coming up on the 16th of February.
Please visit http://www.nblug.org/installfest/ to get all the details and to
sign-up.

See you all next week!

-Dustin