[NBLUG/Announce] InstallFest; September 17th

Greg Dickerson greg at nblug.org
Mon Aug 29 22:02:39 PDT 2005

Please note that this InstallFest is at O'Reilly. Please see below for
information on the exact location and directions. All future InstallFests
will be held at O'Reilly, the same place as general meetings.

WHEN:  Saturday, September 17th - 10:30AM - 4:30PM PDT
WHERE: O'Reilly in Sebastopol; http://nblug.org/genloc
WHO:   Anyone wanting help in installing Linux onto their computer URL:
http://nblug.org/installfest/
WHAT DO I DO: Go to http://www.nblug.org/installfest/ to signup!!!!

What is an InstallFest and who can come?

   Instead of putting all of the usual "what is an InstallFest" info in this
and future announcements, we have a link up on our website as to what a
NBLUG InstallFest entails and how to participate. If you point your browser
of choice to http://www.nblug.org/installfest/ , you'll be presented with
all the info you ever wanted to know about what goes on at an InstallFest,
and how you can get the most out of attending one.

   Anyone is more than welcome to attend. If you need help or just want to
hang out and talk, you are more than welcome to show up. They are
always totally free; you might want to bring a few dollars for pizza,
however.

How do I sign up?

   We will again be taking signups for this InstallFest, so please be sure
to visit that URL if you plan on attending. Those who signup and reserve a
time slot, are first in line. We've found that by taking signups, we can
help more people in a timely fashion. We can also make sure that enough
helpers are available for those wanting help. If you need help at the last
minute, you can still just show up and we'll probably be able to help you,
but it really helps us if you register first, preferably more than 48 hours
in advance so we have a chance to beg for more helpers if we need them.

What if I want to offer help?

   If you're interested in helping out, please contact installfest at
   nblug.org; if you've successfully installed Fedora (or RedHat or Mandrake
   or SuSE or Debian or FreeBSD or OpenBSD or YellowDog or ...) before, you
   can probably help out. We can even use a bit of help from somebody
   helping people bring their heavy equipment in. Besides, it's fun to come
   hang out with all the geeks. ;)

   For helpers, the schedule is a little different:
    8:00AM  - Breakfast (optional) at an undecided location.
    10:00AM - Setup tables, network, etc.
    10:30AM - Installs begin (event start)
    4:00PM  - Installs should be done by now.
    4:30PM  - Installs must be done by now.
    5:00PM  - Room closed; alarms go off, doors lock, police show up.

   We always need helpers, and we can usually use more helpers than we get.
It's a good way to "give back" to NBLUG and it's a geeky good time. (If
you're interested in helping out but can't do an InstallFest, please
consider giving a presentation, contact speakers at nblug.org )

--greg