[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting: 2010-04-13: Second Life

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Thu Apr 8 17:37:34 PDT 2010

Start: 2010/04/13 - 7:30pm
End: 2010/04/13 - 9:00pm
Location: O'Reilly Media
Speaker: Mike Higgins

    Second Life (SL) is like a MMORPG (Massively Multi-player Online Role
    Playing Game), although many of the people hanging out there will be
    offended if you called it a “game”. It is a 3D virtual environment
    created between a database on a huge farm of Linux servers and viewer
    programs running on home PCs. But besides the bare simulated ground,
    everything in SL is created by one of the “residents” there. Objects in
    SL can have snippets of code inserted in them to add behavior. I have
    found this to be a fascinating environment to program in. I'll start
    this talk with an overview of what SL is like and briefly touch on the
    organization of the servers. I'll describe the scripting language, data
    types, programming environment and the foibles of the API library. We
    should be able to go “in-world” live and show some projects I'm working
    on in Second Life.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President