[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting TOMORROW: Costalab

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Aug 9 09:09:51 PDT 2010

Start: 2010/08/10 - 7:30pm
End: 2010/08/10 - 9:00pm
Location: O'Reilly Media
Speaker: Glen Worstell

    The U.C.S.C Long Marine lab includes the 'costalab', where I work
    taking care of 4 servers, mostly Ubuntu, and a few windows desktops.

    The costalab studies marine mammals and birds all over the world.
    Google on 'costalab' to find out more about what we do.

    About half of the talk will be specific to the costalab work - what
    information the researchers collect, how it is stored and analyzed, the
    benefits to the world from this research, etc. This should be of
    interest to a much wider audience than linux gurus.

    The rest of the talk will be about our Ubuntu servers, how they are
    configured, how they are used, and particular tools that get heavy use
    (including Python, rsync, NX, rsnapshot,geany, Ksplice, and Postgres).
    A Q&A session will follow.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President