[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting 2011-12-13: Practice Penetration Testing on your Home Router

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Dec 6 10:30:54 PST 2011

Start: 2011/12/13 - 7:30pm
End: 2011/12/13 - 9:00pm
Location: O'Reilly Media
Speaker: Kyle Rankin

While it is fun to learn how to hack, sometimes it's tough to practice your
skills without breaking any laws. It turns out if you have any consumer
devices on your local network, you already have everything you need to
practice penetration testing. In this talk I will discuss my experience
with the Dlink DIR-685 Wireless N router and how with just a few basic
skills I was able to find multiple exploits, including one that gave me
root, all through the web interface. As I describe the attacks I'll
demonstrate the exploits with a live demo. If you've ever wanted to get
started with penetration testing of web services, this talk with introduce
you to some basic concepts you can apply to all sorts of poorly-coded PHP
sites. If you are interested in how to root consumer devices that don't
already have special firmware, this talk will give you some pointers on how
to break in via the web interface.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President