[NBLUG/Announce] June 14th general meeting - Hackfest and lightning talks, donations for projector

Allan Cecil allan at nblug.org
Tue May 31 09:40:33 PDT 2016

The next general meeting is two weeks away but there were a few questions about how much we were hoping to receive in donations to replace our aging projector.  After a lot of research, Frank determined that the following projector would be a good choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-X312-Projector-Digital-Connectivity/dp/B00T98WI40

At ~$370 after taxes, this HDMI capable projector would give us a much brighter screen at 3,200 lumens and a native XGA resolution of 1024x768 which will resolve the immediate painpoints we have with our current projector.  There are much better projectors than this one in the $650 range (higher lumens, higher resolution, a functional speaker, etc.) but the board agreed that we did not want to beg the NBLUG members to donate any more than necessary.

The NBLUG cashbox held by our treasurer, Matt Da Silva, contains exactly $145.73.   If we completely empty the cashbox we would need to receive $225 in donations to purchase the above projector.  If we receive in excess of $500 in donations we will be in a solid position to consider a better projector but if we fall somewhere between the two numbers we'll likely motion to retain the remainder in the cashbox, perhaps for the next time we have a major anniversary and want to buy a cake or something. :)

Thanks in advance to those who indicated they were willing to donate to the cause and feel free to discuss on the talk list,

A.C.
******
President, North Bay Linux User's Group