[NBLUG/Announce] GPG Key Signing Party

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Fri Feb 9 05:01:12 PST 2018

Topic: GPG Key Signing Party
When: Tues February 13th, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Coordinator: Frank Ball
Location:  O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA, in the Tarsier conference room
past the metal statue and to the right - http://nblug.org/locations

GPG Key Signing Party:

It's time for another GPG key signing.  We had one in May 2003 & August 2014.

The point of this is to create a web of trust.  By signing someones
public key, you state that you have checked that the person that uses a
certain keypair, is who he says he is and really is in control of the
private key.  This way a complete network of people who trust each other
can be created.  This network is called the Strongly connected set.
Information about it can be found at http://pgp.cs.uu.nl/

Before the meeting:

1) Generate a public/private keypair with the "gpg --gen-key"
 command (accept the defaults), see man gpg for more info.

2) Upload your key to a keyserver:
 gpg --send-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

3) Print out the key fingerprint with gpg --fingerprint
 Also include your full name, email address, and Key ID#.
 Bring this to the meeting,
 and optionally make extra copies to hand out.

4) Email me at frank at nblug.org with the fingerprint, email address, full
 name, and Key ID.  I'll have a list of everyone's info to hand out.

During the meeting:

Verify your GPG key fingerprint on the list I hand out and
verify your identity (with photo ID).

After the meeting:

1) Download the all of the keys for the fingerprints verified at the meeting

2) add them to your keyring

3) sign them

4) upload your key again.

More info: