[NBLUG/Announce] Tonight's meeting: Linux Malware is a Unicorn, right?

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Tue Jun 12 13:55:16 PDT 2018

Topic: Linux Malware is a Unicorn, right?
When: Tue June 12, 2018 07:30 PM to 09:00 PM
Speaker: Robert P. Thille
Location: O'Reilly Media, 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol

Linux (and Unix generally) is known for being far more secure than
Windows.  But is this true?  *Is* there such a thing as Linux Malware?
There is, and in this talk I'll present a brief overview of the history
of Linux/Unix malware, worms, trojans and viruses.  I'll cover how they
spread, what the current outbreak landscape looks like today, where it's
likely to head in the future and what you can do to keep yourself safe.

Don't assume that just because you're not running Windows that you've
done everything you need to do!  If you've got a machine on the net, you
could be contributing cpu cycles and bandwidth to a botnet.  Get
informed, take some simple precautions and ensure that you're not part
of the problem.