[SoCoSA/discuss] Looking for someone to rebuild a server

Ruth Harris phoophh at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 13:57:48 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I took a contract job helping reorganize some of the administration at a
company in Sebastopl. The collegue who made the connection for me sold me
as someone who is not afraid of computers. As a result, along with taking
over the HR responsabilites, and working on special projects, I became the
in house sys op. My prior experience with networking has been my home
network which consists of two Macs on a router. We do have an outside
consultant who comes in when I am over my head and has taught me some of
the basics. Other than that, it's just me and a copy of Networking for
Dummies that is getting us by.

A few weeks ago the server crashed and since then has been having
recurrent authentication problems. Sometimes one can log on if the name
and password have been entered enough times or the password gets reset,
etc. and sometimes it takes creating a new user identity. Our outside
consultant says the server became corrupted in the crash and needs a
rebuild, but he's leaving town for six weeks and will be unable to do it.
I know I don't want to go there, so do you know of anyone who might be
able to handle a job such as this?  On a weekend of course.

Ruth