[SoCoSA/discuss] Mailing list preference question

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Sun Feb 12 23:08:37 PST 2006

On Sun, February 12, 2006 10:21 am, Steve S. wrote:
> They should go both places, IMHO -- with a bit of boilerplate reading,
> "direct followup discussions (if any) to the Discussion list, NOT the
> Notify list".
>
> Can this be automated?  Can the Notify-list be configured to bounce a
> message having certain criteria (e.g. it's a "Reply"), with the
> error-message "Discuss this on the discuss-list,
> http://socosa.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss".  Or just make it
> Moderated...
>
> Managing 2 mailing-lists to belong to one organization just seems so
> awkward; I'm particularly annoyed when I have to move a thread to
> another ML when I want to reply
> to it...  No, it's not REALLY that much work; it's just a minor peeve,
> really.  But it irks.

If I recall correctly, it's easy enough to direct simple replies to the
discuss list (Using the "Reply-To:" header) in the list configuration.
The notify list is already moderated, and if we don't direct replies
elsewhere, it'll add to the (quite modest) load of moderation.  Am I
missing something that would complicate this, Eric?

- Chris