[SoCoSA/discuss] Meeting: Wednesday: Wide Area File Services

Eric Eisenhart freiheit at socosa.org
Sun Jul 30 14:46:51 PDT 2006

This coming Wednesday, our own Chris Wagner will be talking about WAFS.
We'll also be raffling off a couple books, including a copy or two of a new
Nagios book (the topic of May's meeting).  If you're interested in pizza be
sure to show up within a few minutes of 6pm so we can get an order together.

Pizza Start: Wednesday, 2006-08-02 6pm
Talk Start: 7pm
Topic: Wide Area File Services

Details:

As more and more businesses implement new technology and applications
requiring more bandwidth, they increase congestion on the WAN networks
connecting branch offices with their data center. There are several
approaches to dealing with this congestion:

Upgrading WAN links to prohibitively expensive T3 and OC3 links to maintain
"local speed" access at the branch office, implementing file services at
each location, software-based solutions that do real-time file replication,
or a WAFS (Wide Area File Services) appliance.

Chris will be speaking about several WAFS appliances he's tested and the
benefits, pitfalls and "gotchas" of each, WAFS in general and some basic
comparison to other solutions.

Speaker: Chris Wagner; SoCoSA's vice-president and a systems administrator
for Amy's Kitchen.
--
Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at SoCoSA.org>
SoCoSA Founder and President