[SoCoSA/discuss] Outlook+Mac compatible group calendar?

Trevor Benson tBenson at a-1networks.com
Fri Nov 24 14:42:33 PST 2006

> Microsoft's server software, that I believe will do what you
> want.  The cost is around $499 for 10 client or

This is generally the 5 client pricing, although a discount may apply in certain cases.

> $999 for unlimited, this was just a quick search and I am

Almost definitely a mistake.  The client cost on SBS is around $75-$99 per CAL.  A 5 user CAL pack runs anywhere from around $399 to $499.  $999 would most likely be the 10 user pack.

Also there is no 'Unlimited' for Small Business Server.  It has a 75 client access limit (HARDCODED no way around this), at that point you have to pay the upgrade fees of a few thousand dollars to break out the exchange and other components bundled into Small Business Server.

> sure you could find it for cheaper.  You might also want to
> look at the licensing setup, with 'regular' Server 2003 if
> you run the 2000/XP on the workstation they come
> automatically with a Client Access License (CAL) so you might

Again, SBS only comes bundled with the amount of clients listed.  A 5 CAL SBS system includes 5 CALS for Windows 2000 or XP to connect to the server (file and print), 5 Exchange licenses to connect to Exchange via Outlook, Other Mail clients, or OWA (outlook web access).  And yes OWA and SMTP/POP accounts count as an Exchange license.

> only need licenses for your MAC and Linux clients.  If you
> are looking for something free (as in free beer) I can't
> think of anything with that functionality that you require.
> Eric

SBS is a good solution for some companies, don’t get me wrong, we install it in some cases for clients.  But be very carefull assuming you have 'unlimited' licensing of any kind, you may found you owe lots of money later on down the road.

Trevor