[SoCoSA/discuss] Windows Server 2003 Backup

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Sep 5 11:45:27 PDT 2006

> You're looking at Backup Exec for Windows 10d w/ Continuous Data
> Protection.  I looked into the HCL and your drive is supported.  The cost
> is
> just under $800...that'll cover your (1) Windows server.

Jeeze. It's like they hear windows server and they notch up the price
twentyfold.

I'm on the linux side using an encrypted tar (all free/stock software).
One of my Windows servers (NT) is a problem though. Nothing wanted to
backup and I didn't want to spend bucks to backup a NT box. I even failed
to make orginal zip work properly for some reason. I ended up just
xcopying the whole drive to the Linux server and having a process look for
it and tar/gizip it when it finds it. Yes I know it's not a disk image,
but it's better than nothing.  In retrospect (possible joke), I should
have looked on sourceforge for something.