[SoCoSA/discuss] Windows Server 2003 Backup

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Sep 5 14:41:44 PDT 2006

For that one server, it's unfortuantely reinstall NT server and then
overlay the files from the backup. I'd say downtime, would be a couple
hours from a hard drive crash. More depedning on other hardware that may
need replacing.

For the core linux server it would be a simple restore. For other linux
servers it would be re-install, restore, check for issues as we don't
maintain full backups of those.

For other win box it would be under an hour for restore, so would largely
be a hardware question. We had bad critical sector on a non-essential
machine, recently. After fixing it in scandisk the machine was restored in
half an hour. It may fail in the future, but it's esentailly a radio
anyway, so  it was decided not to even replace the HD. The restore was
smooth and quick.

I'm not sure what the mac side would be, but I'd imagine an hour to half a
day depending on method.

By and large where in the couple hours range. I think that given a chunk
of change I could recreate the entire office in a new location within a
week. This fits nicely to plan. Installing services such as DSL and T1 in
a new location may take longer, but the workload would not fall entirely
on me.