[SoCoSA/discuss] VPN networks

Andrew Fife afife at untangle.com
Thu Dec 20 12:31:19 PST 2007

Walter:

I'm obviously a little bit biased because I work for Untangle.  But I
think you will find that our implementation of OpenVPN is extremely easy
to setup and use.  And of course it's free and open source under the
GPLv2.

You've got a couple of different options to consider:

PPTP: comes standard on most Windows boxes but uses 40 bit encryption that
is trivial to crack

IPsec: is secure but is difficult to install behind firewalls and also
requires client software on each system

SSL-VPN: is secure and has excellent NAT traversal, OpenVPN is a F/OSS
implementation of this

Clientless: Browser based SSLVPN that is great for mobile users but not as
good for site-to-site connections.  Not many F/OSS implementations that I
am aware of and tends to be expensive from proprietary vendors.

More on Untangle's OpenVPN module with screenshots here:

http://www.untangle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemi
d=146

-Andrew

Andrew Fife