[SoCoSA/discuss] snmpd

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:05:00 PST 2007

Please note that at the end of this I found the solution.

Good questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

The IP of the vmware server is 192.168.1.54, and the guest is
192.168.1.73. The server has quite a few packages and services
installed and running, as I use it (for now, will soon be changed)
also as a desktop. It does have SSH, Apache2 and other services.

I have never had trouble pinging each system from the other, and I ssh
from one to another regularly. When I run traceroute from .54 to .73,
it shows only one hop. It has the same result from .73 to .54.

I've tried telnet, but all I get is a message stating that I'm
connected, but whenever I give a command I get this result:
---
telnet 192.168.1.54 80
Trying 192.168.1.54...
Connected to 192.168.1.54.
Escape character is '^]'.
status
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
href="http://debian-vmware-host.sonic.net/apache2-default/">here</a>.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) PHP/4.4.4-8+etch4 Server at
debian-vmware-host.sonic.net Port 80</address>
Connection closed by foreign host.
---
This happens in both directions.

Here's the result of the netstat command you asked for:

netstat -lun | grep :161
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:161           0.0.0.0:*

I must admit to not initially knowing what this was telling me, BUT
when I run netstat -au, snmp is only listening on localhost. As such I
presume that is what -lun is also telling me. I also get the same
result from the other system.