[SoCoSA/discuss] [SoCoSA/notify] Meeting: SoCoSA's future: tonight

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Dec 3 15:34:57 PST 2008

Eric Landerville wrote:
> I will be unable to come to the meeting tonight (little to short term)
> but I would like to keep SOCOSA going.
>
> As to the talks, what happened to the guy who volunteered to give the
> Asterisk talk(s)?

I never really heard much back except the few people who said they would
like it.  Kevan has offered to do a presentation on RT (issue tracking
system, runs mainly linux, but massively helpful web application for any
OS).  Along with asterisk (fairly linux centric) we could also do a
presentation on Directory Servers (CentOS/RedHats in specific).  This
seems fairly linux centric, but we happen to use it to provide single
sign on environments for windows and linux.  Web application
authentication is also tied to it as well as our mobile VPN
authentication (via openvpn, which on the customer side is STRICTLY a
"windows application" to access the corporate LAN).  Thus its a fairly
good blend of Windows\Linux and the geeks may enjoy the concept of a
simpler small office to a merged enterprise authentication and
information system. Also your colleagues at the office who deal with
Windows (or linux and windows) can get something out of it.

There is a variety of other things we could cover as well, BSD based
firewalls and the advantages of PF.  Firewall redundancy and failover
(including firewall states and IPSEC SPI & SPD.  Vulnerability testing
and a few other security checkups could be another component as well.
But watching off the shelf hardware failover like Cisco enterprise gear
is a treat if your a real network geek.

These are the offers for more presentations by the local yocals.  Let us
know and we will try and schedule something.  I figure with the various
levels of asterisk presentations, and the various levels of Directory
Server Presentations that each of them could be 2-3 presentations
outside of the firewall and security presentations.

If they are of interest to the group Kevan and I will try and work out
something and see how often we could repeat them so everything doesnt
get stale.  However putting together enough to make a presentation and
make it interesting I am sure takes a little time, so the more advance
notice of the topic and date the easier it should be for us to put
things together.

Thanks,
Trevor Benson
A1 Networks