[SoCoSA/discuss] [SoCoSA/notify] SoCoSA on hold (and no meeting tonight)

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Tue Jun 3 17:12:32 PDT 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, SoCoSA notifications and reminders, primarily of events wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:50:17 -0700
> From: "SoCoSA notifications and reminders, primarily of events"
>     <notify at socosa.org>
> To: notify at socosa.org
> Subject: [SoCoSA/notify] SoCoSA on hold (and no meeting tonight)
>
> Hey everybody,
>
> It seems that the current management of SoCoSA doesn't have time/energy to
> continue running the group.  We didn't have a speaker last month and we're
> not set up to have a speaker for tonight's meeting.  I'm figuring that means
> there's no meeting tonight.
>
> If somebody else feels up to taking on the reins, I'd be happy to assist.
> Otherwise, I think we're going to have to declare the group as "on hold" for
> now.
>
> One of the board members has indicated that they expect to have more time in
> a few months, so I'm not going to call it "defunct", just "on hold".
>
> I'll keep the domain until at least January, so if you do feel like taking
> on running a group, you've got at least until then.  :)
>
> One possibility that's been discussed is a sort of merger into NBLUG, taking
> over one of NBLUG's meetings every 3 or 4 months with sysadmin-heavy topics.
> That might mean that commercial software that doesn't run on Linux is no
> longer a potential topic, but commercial Linux software and open-source
> Windows software should both probably be doable.
>
> If you think you might be interested in helping the group get restarted
> (even if you're not willing to take on the role of president), let me know,
> and I'll add you to the steering/board mailing list so that you can be in on
> the discussions.
> --
> Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at SoCoSA.org>
> SoCoSA Founder and President
> IRC: freiheit on irc.socosa.org
> AIM/yahoo: falschfreiheit
> Jabber/GTalk: freiheit at gmail.com

hi Eric,

i'm working at the polls right now and so couldn't come even if there were a
meeting tonight.   (brought my OLPC and found an open ap in the neighborhood)

i appreciate all the work to do meetings, we host the perl mongers at Alembic.
if i could cram more time in i would help.   i don't mind occasional meetings
when a speaker is available or merging with nblug is ok too.

thanks for the efforts you and the others have put into socosa.

-ron

--

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email