[SoCoSA/discuss] [SoCoSA/notify] Reminder: Meeting next week (Tuesday, April 7th)

SoCoSA notifications and reminders, primarily of events notify at socosa.org
Fri Apr 3 10:05:05 PDT 2009

We're trying something new, which is to send more (and earlier)
reminders about meetings.  The idea is to send a reminder a week in
advance, a day in advance and the day of to help those people
perpetually busy.  This is a little late to be a week in advance, but
it's still a few days earlier than we've done in the past.  If you have
any thoughts on this, please share on the discussion list.

Day: Tuesday, April 7th
Time: 7pm for speaker, doors open at 6, be there by 6:10 for pizza order
Location: O'Reilly Media, Tarsier Room (behind the big metal tarsier)
           1005 Gravenstein Hwy N, Sebastopol; http://xrl.us/u6vz
Topic: Ganglia
Speaker: Jason Cook
Event page: http://socosa.org/node/852

According to Jason, here's what we have to look forward to:

Ganglia is a scalable distributed monitoring system for high-performance
computing systems such as clusters and Grids. It is based on a
hierarchical design targeted at federations of clusters. It leverages
widely used technologies such as XML for data representation, XDR for
compact, portable data transport, and RRDtool for data storage and
visualization. It uses carefully engineered data structures and
algorithms to achieve very low per-node overheads and high concurrency.
The implementation is robust, has been ported to an extensive set of
operating systems and processor architectures, and is currently in use
on thousands of clusters around the world. It has been used to link
clusters across university campuses and around the world and can scale
to handle clusters with 2000 nodes.

--
-Kevan Benson <kbenson at SoCoSA.org>
-SoCoSA President