[SoCoSA/discuss] exim TLS cert problem

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Fri Aug 28 09:39:26 PDT 2009

Andrew wrote:
> Kevan Benson wrote on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:53:14 -0700:
>
>> Plain SMTP over SSL is port 465
>
> Actually...
>
>   "Port 465 is reserved for Cisco by the IANA for the URD
>   mechanism. No other applications can use this port."
> (from
>   http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=28471&seqNum=5 )
>
> Yes, it's common practice to use port 465 for secure SMTP, but
> the port is officially assigned to Cisco. More here:
> http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0710/0880.html
>
> and straight from the horse's mouth:
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Ah, interesting.  Well, if Exim answers on that port, it's still
probably the easiest way to see the cert it's serving.  I know a lot of
mail clients still support it (with less trouble than some of the other
standards), so I think it's still fairly widely deployed, for user
facing systems, at least.

Still, good to know, as one less feature that needs to be supported is
possibly one less headache down the road. :)

-Kevan