[SoCoSA/discuss] www.meetup.com

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 22:03:57 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at socosa.org> wrote:

> Where *DO* geeks hang out in Sonoma County, anyways?

Yeah.  What gandalf said.

More seriously...

I presume you mean, "where do I go to hang out, that I'll meet other geeks"?

SSU computer lab, sometimes.  I've been known to... uh... "borrow"
some facilities there, on occasion.  Can be tricky, that.

NBLUG meetings, of course.

Hardware geeks sometimes strike up a chat at that shop on southerly
S.R. Ave... whose name has been erased by my encroaching senility...
Ditto the "geek" departments at BB & CC stores.

Also look to non-computer geekinesses... there are "overlaps," e.g.
comics/manga/anime/rpgs/etc... more than their fair share of
computer-geeks at such stores.  Wear a penguin or /. tshirt, maybe
carry some very-computer-geeky-book (a well-worn copy of "UNIX POWER
TOOLS") and you may get chatted up by another geek.

Coffee shops.  Geeks and caffeine, doncha know... Again, the
computer-geeky-book is your friend, here!  Don't be too immersed in
it, or it may seem rude to approach you.

- Steve