[SoCoSA/discuss] Sources for Salary Data

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Nov 14 08:05:11 PST 2009

Folks:

A few weeks back, I posted an off-topic query on NBLUG's mailing list
asking for tips on how/where to gather IT-related salary info.  I
realize it would be a good idea to post here as well.  I was looking
into both programmer as well as admin salaries.

I'm curious if any of you on this list have a good source for salary data.

I haven't forced myself to slog through Monster or Dice to see what info
they have (I hate having to create an account or whatever just to browse
some data... but maybe that's the price).  The best stuff I found in my
casual search comes from the California Employment Development
Department (EDD).

I found a neat little database where you can put in some parameters and
get data for particular job classes for specific counties.  Here are 3
samples (Sonoma County):

Network and Computer Systems Administrators
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=system+administrator&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151071&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer Programmers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=programmer&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151021&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer and Information Systems Managers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=Information+Technology+Director&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=113021&search=Explore+Occupation>

And Here
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occexplorerqsselection.asp?menuchoice=occexplorer>

is a link to the page where you can punch in whatever your parameters.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net