[SoCoSA/discuss] www.meetup.com revisited.

Jim Oser oserj at oserconsulting.com
Sun Mar 14 17:40:01 PDT 2010

Thank you Eric and the rest of the board for running this group as long as you have. I know running a group is hard work and that one hardly ever gets thanked.

I guess it is to late to reiterate the idea that I posted to the group last year, since it looks like SoCoSA has folded.

I posted this suggestion last year that SoCoSA advertise on www.meetup.com

In all fairness, just posting on www.meetup.com, will not guarantee success. Since that time, the Sebastopol ruby group that advertises on www.meetup.com has folded. Maybe meeting so far away from 101 was not a good idea for SoCoSA or for the Sebastopol ruby/rails group.

On the other hand, the East Bay ruby/rails meetup group that meets at UC Berkeley, the SF ruby/rails meetup group that meets at different companies in SF, and the Silicon Valley ruby/rails group that last week met at LinkedIn in Mountain View are all going gangbusters.

I will admit that there are more people who live in those areas than in Sonoma County, but certainly people, who are already using meetup are finding new groups to join all the time.

If one goes to www.meetup.com and searches on "Santa Rosa" or on "Sebastopol", one will find both technical and nontechnical meetups in those communities. Of course, searching on "Linux" or "Windows" will bring up more technical groups.

It also seems that groups are now advertising on linkedin now. For instance, there is a Marin group, that started to meet virtually, and is now meeting face to face once a month.

The times are changing.

Jim

Begin forwarded message: