[SoCoSA/discuss] Two 100BASE-TX over one cable

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Fri Jun 3 11:42:37 PDT 2011

VLAN's will be more then sufficient for 100Mbps connections in most cases.  If you are using a VoIP hard phone that supports VLAN tagging and has a built in switch this is a simple and cost effective method for companies who do not tend to saturate 100Mbps links.

Audio from G.711 ulaw, the most likely codec to be in use) only takes up 64Kbps.  Over Frame relay this turns out to be 82.8Kbps and over ethernet 87.2Kbps.  If you only look at the short haul of the ethernet segment and ignore the WAN side of the calls 1 call at its most expensive is less then 100Kbps.  A single 100Mbps is around 100,000Kbps, so around 1000 VoIP calls could traverse a 100BASE-TX connection.  So if you consider that voice would use less then 1/1000th of the bandwidth available, the audio has massive room to work with unless you are using 999/1000 of the circuit already.

In the long run, from a cost perspective, if you have more then 5 phones/desks to setup you might be better of with VLAN's from the switch if the phones support the option.  If your switch does not support VLAN's (and/or QoS to provide a Voice priority VLAN) then the splitters might be a good way to go.  And I would suggest using the splitters for testing for the reasons you mentioned, time, effort and prewired drops that work are good to leave in working order, without a large enough service loop you could end up shortening the cable so it wont remount easily to the existing wall jack.

Trevor Benson
A1 Networks  |  Network Engineer
dCAA, dCAP, Network+, CLA, CNA, MCP, LPIC-1
DID (707)703-1041
Fax (707)703-1983
tbenson at a-1networks.com