Firewall & HTTP>FTP question

Sebastian Mindling list at mindling.com
Fri Aug 20 11:03:31 PDT 1999

This may not be the right forum, but I thought I'd pick your collective
brains anyway....

I'm serving http and ftp thru a router with pretty restrictive packet
filtering enabled (basically just ports 80 and 21 allowed). From outside
this firewall, users can access both the website and the ftp server
independently, but if I put a link on the website pointing to our ftp
server, the link does not work. If you put the link's URL into the
location field of the browser manually, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what port(s) the web browser is trying to open up when
it follows such a link? Or what else this could be?