PygmyLinux & Pine & PPP & POP3

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Fri Dec 17 23:34:58 PST 1999

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:02:25PM -0800, Peter Bantowsky wrote:
> I recently installed Pygmy-06 [from http://www.pygmy.penguin.cz] in a
> compact Linux box in the WIN95 msdos partition (i.e. c:\linux).  Works
> great as basic things go.  Until you try to use 'pine' with a 'ppp'
> (modem) link into a POP3 smtp server on the Internet.  'pppsetup' works
> fine and accessing hosts on the Internet with 'telnet' or 'lynx' also
> works as advertised.  Does anyone know how to configure this animal so
> that 'pine' interoperates with the 'ppp'+'pop3'+'smtp' stuff the way
> other "mail user agents" do, such as Netscape Communicator's Messenger?

You might want to check if 'fetchmail' is installed on your system.
Fetchmail is a program designed to pick up email from POP servers (or IMAP
servers, etc.).

Here's an example simple configuration:
poll pop.isp.com
  protocol POP3
  username eric
  password "foo"
  is eric here

There's also a 'fetchmailconf' program that can help out.

Anyways, just put something like that in '.fetchmailrc', do 'chmod 0600
.fetchmailrc' and then run 'fetchmail'.  That should put the mail in your
local mailspool, where pine can read it.

> Why bother?  Because 'pine' loads a helluva lot faster than
> Communicator's Messenger and is a very good mail tool for zipping
> messages out fast.

Personally, I prefer mutt for that purpose.  Mutt is capable of having the
key bindings configured, including being configured to be similar to PINE's
configuration, and it can do POP, as well...
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell