X client for Win 98.

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Sat Dec 11 20:51:02 PST 1999

Kevin Jamieson wrote:
> The one that I've used (I think it runs under 98 as well as NT) is called
> Exceed.  It does a decent enough job, I guess, but I'm not sure if it's free
> or not.  It doesn't measure up to Xfree in my opinion, but Windows is not
> exactly the land of choice....

Exceed isn't free, and I'm not sure if it runs under 9[5/8].  I think
it's around $150, but I haven't ever bought it, but my company buys
lots of licences.  There are other as well.  Usually you end up now
running a window manager in those situations, and that most of the
power of X IMHO.

Hhaving said that, depending on what you're trying to accomplish there
may be a better solution which *is* free.  I use VNC a lot.  It's
not an X server per se, but it may be just what you're looking for.
It's a vitual/remote desktop system.  What ti does it allow you to
connect remotely to a display/desktop on another machine.  This is
somewhat like what PCAnywhere does, except that it's free and
*cross-platform*.  That is to say that you can run a client on a
windows machine and connect to a special X desktop/server, or you
can run a client on an X desktop and connect to a Windows desktop.
It allows almost full control of the environment remotely.  I use
it extensively for remotely administrating NT servers.  It got
servers on Windows (95,98,NT), Most Unices, and Mac (in beta).  It's
got clients on all those and a lot more platforms as well, and the
best/weirdest one is a implemented as a JAVA applet that will run
in a browser, so you can connect to the server with *ANY* java
capable browser and manipulate it as if you were sitting at
the screen.

On the NT/Mac you manipulate the real desktop directly, but on Unix it
works a little differently.  You start up a virtual X server which
doesn't connect to any real screen, and then you can run clients
that connect to it.

You can read about it and download packages from:
	http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

   -- Mitch