RAM Disks in Linux???

David Cole metalgrow at cds1.net
Thu Jul 8 18:44:18 PDT 1999

Help!!!
  I can use any sugestions, I can't find anything about this online

With PC100 memory prices as low as $30 for 64Mb,
I want to try a RAM Linux SWAP Drive,
instead of Hard Drive system Linux SWAP Partition.

Does anyone even have a guess at how I would do it.
I have Red Hat 5.2, Pentium II 400 with 128Mb of PC100SD Ram.
I would like to use about 64Mb for general RAM
and 64Mb Ram System SWAP Drive???
This would be for my CGI web server Linux box.

I know it’s killing a knat with an elephant gun,
but it sounds hard enough to be fun.

More stable system:  Long term, Ram doesn’t corrupt bits
like Hard Drives can :)
And oooboy it’d be fast :)
the performance difference between RAM and any HD is huge.
You can run a 486DX2 out of ram faster than you can run a
PII out of a SCSI Hard Drive.
Hard Drives are in milliseconds and RAM is in nanoseconds.

Thanks
   David Cole
email: MetalGrow at cds1.net