Hardware reccomendations

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Tue Nov 2 15:25:22 PST 1999

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:36:47PM -0800, Joseph McCarty wrote:
> I'd really appreciate some feedback on internal 56K modems and NICs that
> folks have found to work well under both Linux and Win 95/98.

As a number of other people have said, the USR 56K modems (not the WinModem
version) seem to work pretty well.  Just about any modem that has actual
jumpers on it to set the port and IRQ would work well, though.

For a NIC, I'd suggest a PCI card, for starters.  Good choices include the
Intel EtherExpress Pro (unfortunately, the model that I can find for retail
purchase is over $50, but I'm pretty sure there's a not-quite-as-good (but
still good) OEM version that should be findable for $20 or less), the 3c905,
just about any card with the DEC tulip chip in it and just about any card
that claims to be NE2000 compatible.

(those last two can be found pretty cheap, which is why I mentioned them)

It really depends on lot on the relationship between your budget and your
needs, too.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell