[OT] Computer dealers, possibly Linux-friendly?

Sebastian Mindling list at mindling.com
Tue Apr 25 10:37:03 PDT 2000

On 24 Apr 2000 12:29:30 -0700, Colin Marquardt <colin at marquardt-home.de> spoke gently:
> Hi,
>
> sorry guys, this is slightly off-topic, but I just recently (=10
> days) moved to the US from Germany. Please bear with me.
>
> I will soon need to buy a PC, and I'd like to hear your opinions
> about good stores in Sonoma/Marin County.
>
> I would strongly prefer a Linux/*BSD-friendly dealer if they can
> offer competitive prices. I do not want a pre-installed box, as I
> brought my old HD with Debian on it with me.
>
> The PC (although I tought about getting a PowerPC, but these still
> are more expensive than AMD/Intel stuff, right?) is meant as a home
> workstation and not as a server of any kind (I do, however, prefer
> good hardware).
>
> Grateful for any information,
>   see you on May 9,
>     Colin
>
> PS: AMD/Athlon much preferred.

I'll dig an oar in: I have been using Structured Business Systems
(formerly MicroAge) here in Santa Rosa for almost three years, for work
and personal systems, and have had nothing but excellent service. They
always build exactly the system I want (and I'm annoyingly picky), no
more, no less, for a decent price. They are always honest and up-front
with advice on components, and they have been fine with my special
requests such as no OS, etc. I wouldn't say they're linux oriented, but
if you know what you want they'll build it as you say, and stand behind
it.

Just my $0.02.