DSL logs

Thomas A. Rice tar at sonic.net
Wed Jan 26 23:10:54 PST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, you wrote:

>	fetchmail can establish an ssh tunnel and tear it down when the pop
>is completed -- set the pop3 server to localhost, using some local port
>number you can open (above 1024, IOW, whatever looks reliably unoccupied).
>Then use fetchmail's 'preconnect' option to open an ssh tunnel from your
>local port to your ISP pop server's pop3 port -- the command being of the
>form 'ssh -L <localport>:pop.isp.net:110 shellserver.isp.net sleep 10' (the
>sleep holds the connect long enough to start the POP transfer; after that
>ssh will close the connection as soon as the tunnelled pop3 connect is
>finished.

Devin,
	Have you actually got a set-up like this working?
	I got non-ssh fetchmail working easily, but the following
	(excerpt)
		poll pop.sonic.net via localhost port 1234 with proto POP3:
		preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:pop.sonic.net:110 bolt.sonic.net sleep 60";
	gives an error:

[tar at localhost tar]$ fetchmail -v
fetchmail: 5.0.0 querying pop.sonic.net (protocol POP3) at Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:08:40 -0800 (PST)
tar at bolt.sonic.net's password:
fetchmail: POP3 connection to pop.sonic.net failed: Connection refused
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

	The ssh authentication seems to be ok (I've been using ssh
	and scp for quite a while), but it looks like pop.sonic.net
	won't allow a pop3 connect from bolt.sonic.net?
--
						    Tom Rice
						    tar at sonic.net
						    thomas_rice at agilent.com