About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 27 11:18:43 PDT 2000

Hello,
I have installed an ISA ethernet card in my pc.  It is an
Accton 3EN 16858-P R01 and the
User's Guide indicates it is a "Plug 'n Play" ethernet
adapter.  The boot ROM address
can be anything from C0000h to DFFFFh and it accepts any IRQ
of the following, 3,4,5,9,10,11,12 or 15.  I specified 10
for some reason in the "netconf" tool

As with the Kingston PCI card, there was a DOS style floppy
for installation and testing
of this NIC. I ran the test of the card, and saw a M.A.C. of
00-00-E8-3F-01-AA with a PNP serial number of 00-3F-01-AA
and a PNP vendor ID of PNP0060
Full duplex disabled, I/O base of 240 H and an IRQ OF 10

So the system, under DOS, could query the card.  The default
operating mode was Plug & Play ( some say plug and pray)
Medium type  of Auto Detect, with full duplex disahbled and
an I/O base of 3000 H (???) Interrupt of 3 and Boot ROM
disabled.

There was also a "manual" mode which would allow me to make
changes in the settings above.

I wasn't sure what to do.I went to the onboard diagnostics
where the DOS program ran the following tests:

Configuration test
i/o registers test
Internal loop back test
External loop back test
and
RAM test.

It ran fine until I pressed escape, 0ver 2000 tests.

it offered an EEPROM diagnosis... that passed, also.
It could not run diagnostics on a network, since I did not
have another
DOS machine handy with another NIC in it to run the same
program,

so I skipped it

This was deja vu all over again.

The Kingston PCI card did the same.  Ran ok under DOS rules
,not ok with linux
John