About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Mon Jul 17 17:19:45 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 03:48:59PM +0100, John F. Kohler wrote:

> Scott Doty wrote:
> >
> > What happens if you try just:
> >
> >    # insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/tulip.
>
> system came back to a root prompt indicating to me that nothing was done.

Actually, in Unix, that usually means that it went okay.  :)

Try it again,

# insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/tulip.o

and then do

# lsmod

 ...and double-check that the tulip module loaded.  If so,
then bring up your networking with:

# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
# ./ifup ifcfg-eth0

 ...and then, to see if the net came up, run:

# ifconfig

It should show an entry for eth0 -- you should also be able to
ping your gateway.  (I think it is highly likely that this will work,
assuming it is the correct module.)

If all that works, you still need to get your bootstrap to basically
do the same thing.

One possibility might be to edit /etc/conf.modules and remove that "options
tulip irq" line, as the problem _could_ be that modprobe is passing a
parameter to insmod that the tulip module doesn't understand.

If all else fails, you can bypass modprobe by running insmod from
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but that will mean taking manual control
of your bootstrap -- that should probably be left as a last resort.  Try
the stuff above first.  :)

 -Scott