About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Mon Jul 17 00:16:38 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> ethernet card tests were performed and all passed:

good to see this. This helps to verify it as not being a card/physical
link issue.

> > Next time you are in linux try the following as root:
> >
> > # depmod -a
>
> result was: command not found

Were you root?

if you want to "become" root in *one* of your xterm shells without logging
out of your own username/UserID, you can try the following:

$ su -
Password: (enter your admin/root password, press return, then you should
see domething like:)
#

(and now you have a "root" shell. Be careful when running a shell as root,
as the "root" user has full access run to destroy just about anything
anything on your system.)

If you were root and it still gave you that error, then try an explicit
path for these like /sbin first and then /usr/sbin if /sbin proves
unhelpful... eg:

# /sbin/depmod -a
# /sbin/modprobe tulip debug=6

after you have the depmod and modprobe of above working, then try:

# /sbin/ifconfig eth0

> > Is any error reported here?
> > If yes, please include information here...
> > If no, or yes, then once again try:

> I think I should not be doing the command from the root directory, but
> usr or bin or something

If you know a command exists in a certain directory, and that directory is
not in your path, you can usually specify the command by preceeding it
with the directies that lead up to it.

"root" when spoken about in the context of a file system is often "/"
while "root" in the user sense is a username. In this statement, the
commands would need to be issued by root, not from root. This would mean
logging in as root and issuing the commands. "From a root shell" equates
to logging in as root and issuing the command. Seldom would you be asked
to "run a command from the filesystem root"

Often, a "#" preceeding a command in directions suggests using a root
shell (logging in as root and issuing the command for instance.) while a
"%" or "$" often suggests a regualr non-root user shell. % is often used
for csh/tcsh while $ is often used for sh and bash. I thin we covered that
you use bash.

I try to use this semi-standardized convention when offering commands to
be executed. Sorry that I did not make this clear. Sometimes I make
incorrect assumptions.

You may notice that as your userID/username, you see your xterm prompt
may look like:
$
while logging in as root yeilds a prompt like:
#

> > If you *do* see useful output (not an error, but good data) then try
> > and issue the ifdown/ifup commands E Frank Ball offered:
> >
> > # /sbin/ifdown eth0
> > # /sbin/ifup eth0

> neither worked

This will not work until we get 'ifconfig eth0' to show us something more
than an error.

When you issue an 'ifconfig eth0' on your linux box and get something like
this:
-
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:00
          inet addr:172.16.0.1  Bcast:172.16.31.255  Mask:255.255.224.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/168
          collisions:43
-
where you may not see all of the lines, you should see the 'eth0' line,
'RX' line, and 'TX' line. When we see something like this, you will
probably not be far from having a wokring network in Linux.