About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 16 20:43:18 PDT 2000

ME wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > Model is KNE110TX
> > which has an instruction sheet for Linux installation.
>
> > There are 4 led indicators on the back of the ethernet adapter card, 3
> > of which are lighted when the CAT-5 cable is plugged in.
>
> What are the letters (if any) next to each of the lights?

Two top ones are 100tx ( it is lighted when the cat-5 is plugged in), and "link" (
also on with cable connected)
Two bottom ones are "FDX"  (also on) and  Act(ivity)  which has always been off
when I was looking.

> Examples include: Tx, Rx, Link, Powd/Pwr, Col/Collision
>
> Also, when you ping (or try to ping) the ip address assigned to the Linux
> box, does at least one of the lights on the ethernet card light up? (Rx?)
>
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>
> > When it ran  I saw displayed a "node address" similar to the MAC you described
> > earlier.
> > 00-C0-F0-5B-10-5D
>
> Yes, this is another name for MAC/NIC/Hardware/ Ethernet address...
>
> If the card has blinking lights, and the dos program can talk with it, at
> least we have progress, and it is unlikely that we have a bad physical
> link or card.
>
> After running through the installations procedure, could you do a dump of
> the following as root to this list: (Sorry to ask again)

I am not sure how to dump contents of ram or registers.

> (Just to be explicit, the "#" character are to signify a root shell
> prompt, and are notr to be typed in as part of the command. You probably
> know this. I am just trying to be explicit.)
>
> Thanks, I need that kind of review.  Things like that escape me from time to
> time.

> # ifconfig eth0

OK, first I'll try to configure eth0 as best I can using one of the tools.

> If it still gives an error, then we still need to look at the modules.
>
> Could you then give us the output of the following command:

ok

> # lsmod

if there is any.

> Also output the following two commands here:
>
> # cat /proc/interrupts
> # cat /proc/ioports
>
> # uname -a

I'll get on it as soon as I click send on this response.

> > I am not committed to the Kingston card just because it was free (left
> > at my house by DSL installers).  I am perfectly willing to purchase a
> > known successful ethernet card.  I have heard that one must check a
> > graphic card carefully since Linux must have a driver for a variety of
> > manufacturers, and in the graphics arena, new drivers are being written
> > constantly.
>
> It would be nice to use the Kingston card since you have it. There are
> others that probably have this working with linux too.
>
> When you run the DOS utility, does it tell you what IRQ and io port are in
> use by the card? Could you report these here too?

I don't recall the io port. I do recall IRQ=11

> With that utility, are you able to tell the card to not auto-detect media
> and speed? If so, tell it to use 10BaseT  (10 Megabits per second with
> RJ-45 modular jack connector) (This is just for testing. Once you have it
> working, then you can try faster speeds, or re-enable auto-detection.)

I am not really familiar with Q-Start,  I will look again after booting (ugh!) DOS
from a floppy.

> Is this your topology?
>
>                                          Linux Box
> DSL/PPP/Internet Access <==> Linksys <==> HUB <==> iMac
> ISDN/T1/DS?                   Router       |
>                                       Other Mac

That is exactly correct!

> (Just want to make sure.)
>
> I the basic assumptions are correct, we are still hovering around
> driver/modules. It may just mean the removal of the modual, and
> re-insertion with the proper arguements/names set.

Once more, thanks for all your effort.

John