About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sat Jul 15 23:23:59 PDT 2000

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> ME wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> If I have a choice, I think I'd prefer manual, since I have a small 3 unit
> home system.

With 3 units, static/manual assignment is often easier than having to
learn DHCP. If you ever think to expand later to go to more than 7
machines, DHCP might be a good idea.

> > 2) You configure your DHCP server to only offer addresses to hosts that
> > have MAC address entries in your DHCP server and have it act much like the
> > older BOOTP systems.

> I wonder if DHCP plays a role in the "manual" configuration, or if BOOTP
> does.

In Mac OS, and Windows "manual assignment" for TCP/IP settings means that
the machine should not send out a BOOTP or DHCP request, so the DHCP or
BOOTP server wouldn't respond with the information to a request it never
recieved, and even if they did send out this information, the client
stations should ignore it.