About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sat Jul 15 22:16:51 PDT 2000

} when you get done configuring the network stuff type:
} /sbin/ifdown eth0
} /sgin/ifup eth0
}
} that will make the changes take effect without having to reboot.

I don't know what happened to my first message.  Here it goes again:

You wanted to know where to enter the IP address, it goes in
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
USERCTL=yes

Also check /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=
GATEWAY=192.168.1.???
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
GATEWATDEV=eth0

Put in whatever you called you machine for the hostname, and your
linksys router address as the gateway.

/etc/resolv.conf
search xxx.net
nameserver
nameserver

List your nameservers after "nameserver".   One per line, as many as you
have.  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format, no names.  put in your ISP's domain after
"search".

ifconfig isn't in your path, but you can type "/sbin/ifconfig" and
"/sbin/route" to use them if you can't edit your path.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com