How can I make eth0 is working?

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 15 01:24:52 PDT 2000

I listened to the discussion at the last nblug meeting and learned about
LAN addresses
such as the class C that I am using, 192.168.1.x

I am still having difficulty.  I have a (non linux) router that has the
address of 192.168.1.1
and it works well to my mac LC which has 192.168.1.2 and the imac which
has 192.168.1.3, under the "no protocol" selection.  I don't understand
DHCP or BOOTP.

I need to know which configuration tool is best for a beginner,
"netconf" or "netcfg"
or "control-panel"  They all seem to be similar.

I have tried entering 192.168.1.4 in several places for "IP" addresses
in those configuration tools, but can't seem to do either of the
following:

a) ping the mac from the linux
b)ping the linux from the mac.

I can have either mac ping itself, the other one or the router.

John Kohler
Daly City