what is this probe

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sat Jul 8 12:29:35 PDT 2000

Just for others following this thread, here is the mistake mentioned by
Frank E. Ball that I made:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, ME wrote:
[chop]
> For ICMP (if the above page is still accurate) the "port" number listed
> next to the src address is not a port number. For ICMP, it specifies the
> ICMP type. For the dst port with ICMP, it is not a port, but the code.

ICMP src port for the logging maps to type
ICMP dst port for the logging maps to code

This is right.

> So, this would *suggest* an ICMP packet from SRC=172.31.105.12 to
> DST=209.204.172.XXX with a code of 3, and a type of 13
                             ^^^^             ^^^^
These are my mistake. These should be swapped.

> So, this would *suggest* an ICMP packet from SRC=172.31.105.12 to
> DST=209.204.172.XXX with a type of 3, and a code of 13

Later in the document I re-reverse it to make it correct, but it is still
a source of mis-information. (Apologies to the list members.)

I encourage anyone else that finds technical mistakes in my posts to
comment on them. Mis-information is a bad thing as it pollutes the
knowledge base, and I won't take it peronally. :-)

For now, I will go sit in a corner for a "timeout."

-ME