Processor Swap

Christopher White chris at adei.com
Tue Mar 7 13:50:47 PST 2000

Yes, I've used Evergreen upgrades.  I've upgraded a Pentium 100 to 333,
among others.  The Evergreens work OK with Linux.

The problem is that the Evergreen 333 is about as expensive as an AMD K6-2
500 and Tyan S1598, and you get a heck of a lot better motherboard with the
Tyan.  It's just the memory you'll have to worry about after that. :-)

The Evergreen won't run as fast as a native chip on a modern motherboard,
either.  And with the 333 you may have to flash your bios (I did with a
Gateway P100) with the bios fix supplied with the chip.

More things to think about. . . .