telnet disconnects/firewall help?

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed Mar 1 17:39:00 PST 2000

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 05:10:19PM -0800, DJ wrote:
> for a while now i have had my telnet service disabled for security
> purposes, since then I have implimented SAMBA, APACHE and a donated
> RC.FIREWALL script..
> the problem came when i went back into INETD.CONF to enable the telnet
> service and nothing happened.
> I can get a successful telnet connection with my server..
> whenever i run 'telnet 63.199.5.221' from any outside client I get '
> connection to host lost', Would this be related to the firewall
> filtering of telnet? is telnet on port:23?
> like i said i dont fully understand ipchains, but when i do would I need
> to allow all incoming tcp packets on port 23?
[snip]

> ### Uncomment to allow inbound ftp connections
> ### enable telnet first then ftp on 21..
> #ipchains -A eth0-in -p tcp -s 0/0 23 -y -j ACCEPT
> #ipchains -A eth0-in -p tcp -s 0/0 21 -y -j ACCEPT

Yes, telnet is port 23.  You'll need to open port 23 back up in order to be
able to telnet in via eth0.

I'd like to strongly reccomend installing SSH and then adding something like
this to your firewall configuration:
ipchains -A eth0-in -p tcp -s 0/0 22 -y -j ACCEPT

(and then using an ssh client to connect instead)

SSH is kinda like telnet (it can also do other things), but it encrypts your
connection so that it's harder to see what you're sending across the
connection.  (like your password, for instance)
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell