SCO Unix...

Sebastian Mindling list at mindling.com
Tue Aug 7 13:35:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:07:21 -0700 Christopher Wagner <chrisw at pacaids.com> spoke gently:
> I thought it might be a Reverse DNS problem, and you were indeed
> correct..  The beer goes to you! :)
>
> I can add all of these machines to the host file, but that's a bit
> kludgy, is there any way I can have telnetd not bother running a DNS
> lookup on each machine on the internal network?

What does your /etc/resolv.conf file look like? Is this machine supposed
to have net access? I don't run a DNS server currently, so for my
internal (non-internet) machines I just disable DNS lookups entirely. In
Linux I do this by unchecking 'DNS is required for normal operation' in
netconf, but I confess that I don't know what that actually does in the
config files. It doesn't change my resolf.conf, so there must be a flag
somewhere else that it turns off. Perhaps someone else on the list can
fill me in?

On my Solaris machines (also non-internet) there is no resolv.conf at
all.