Broken NFS server (or client?)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Aug 8 19:04:37 PDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I am trying to set up a netbooting Linux server for a high school that is
> trying to set up a Windows 2000 Server to manage their entire network (just
> in case the Windows server doesn't work correctly, as usual).  I seem to
> have a working server machine and a working boot disk for the clients, but I
> get an NFS error -101 when I boot a test client (a VMWare virtual machine).
>
> Both the client and server are using Linux kernel 2.4.7, and the server is
> set up with a kernel-based NFS v3 daemon.  The client is set up with
> kernel-based network auto-configuration using DHCP, the kernel is configured
> to have a root filesystem via NFS, and the IP address of the server is in
> the LILO configuration.  Everything seems to work except for the NFS
> connection.
> Anyone know what's going on and/or how to fix it?

Some questions:

I assume the test client has a local HD since you have LILO being used for
the netboot testing. This is true?

When you boot the client from the local disk, are you able to nfs mount
the exported volume and use it as you desire to use with a netbooted
system?

When you write about this error, are you saying that you can't even mount
your root filesystem via NFS from the client, or once you have the client
machine net-booted in Linux you get this error when you ry to start up the
vmware application?

Does the client get a different IP address fron the network when it
netboots vs. when it is running from a local HD?

Is the error logged from the server or the client or both?

"The client IP address is in the lilo configuration" how? is this an
"append=" statement? Often those are passed to scripts that do the actual
work of setting up your interfaces. Is it just getting its IP and nfs root
server/volume from bootp/dhcp?

Thanks,
-ME