Broken NFS server (or client?)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Aug 8 21:55:06 PDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> This is just a wild guess, but should I try using a BOOTP or RARP server
> instead?

if you are suing ISC's dhcpd then, I think it defaults to allowing answers
to bootp requests as a dhcp server. If not, you may look into adding
something like "allow bootp" to your /etc/dhcpd.conf file (orwherever you
keep it.)

bootp can work, but it is more klunky when you wish to set up sending of
vendor specific options or use the extra things like telling the client
where to get its NFS root. ISC's dhcpd has more english-like options for
these things and does many more cool features and can send more
information to dhcp clients too.

rarp is kind of old. Even less information is passed with rarp than
bootp. I have used rarp, but when you can avoid installing another service
that can possibly offer IP address informtion that could conflict with
another server (dhcp or bootp) it is a good idea to consolidate rather
than split.

-ME