Suggestions for talks at nblug:

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Aug 9 18:24:46 PDT 2001

Bill Kendrick  (LUGOD) did a talk on the GIMP at another LUG and will be
doing it at his local LUG soon. Maybe we can convince him to talk about it
at our LUG?

(For those that do not know about the GIMP, it is a fully function desktop
publishing tool that feels much like Photoshop(TM) but hs many features
not found in Photoshop - and the GIMP is free!)

Other suggestions:
kernel-style software RAID (md support etc)
using a shell / shell scripting - understanding the startup scripts
 /etc/init.d/*
games on Linux (/usr/games through to first person shoot-em-up and
 strategy
How Agilent has employed Linux in the workplace (We have members from
 Agilent. Any willing and able to talk about Linux where they work?)
Simple review of "20 common shell commands" and how they can make shell
 work easier
Security (broken into:)
 firewalling rules (covered by Devin and Frank)
 tcp wrappers and /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny
 physical security
 general application security (SUID root applications, /dev file
  permissions, etc
 kernel security / patches / risks of certain options modules /
  internation kernel patches (crytographic filesystems etc prob
  need to be broken into two topics...)
 service security (common security holes)

Can we get someone from ILM to discuss how they use Linux (I assume the
do) with special effects and why they chose it?

Um, anyone want to second these for suggestions, or willing to present on
them?

These are some that I would like to hear about if someone was willing to
speak on them. To even have a volunteer go out and learn the item and then
come discuss the cool features they found would be good. :-)

-ME