newbie intro

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Tue Aug 14 13:01:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:31:23AM -0700, Liz Young wrote:
> Just joined the list.  After six and a half years borged by WinNT, I'm
> trying again to transition to Linux.   Just wondering how tolerant
> NBLUG is with newbies... I have lots of questions.

Newbies are who we try to concentrate most on helping, actually.

You can always ask questions on this mailing list, and usually there will be
somebody at a meeting you can ask questions of before or after the
presentation.  Some questions are better on the mailing list, though.

> My home LAN is connected to the Internet via NT4 running WinroutePro
> for NAT and firewall.  I have another NT4 (PDC) box running File and
> Print Services.  I'd like to convert the NAT box to Linux, but have to
> keep the other box running NT until I finish my MCSE upgrade later this
> year (blech! I know, I have almost ZERO motivation to do that now).

Well, we covered setting up a Linux box for NAT and firewall before.  Check
out http://nblug.org/firewall/.  Frank's got a lot of stuff from the
presentation there.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell