IMAP questions

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:59:45 PDT 2001

I have a server running Red Hat Linux 7.1 with sendmail and imap (whatever
shipped with Red Hat 7.1).  It has worked almost right out of the box (I had
to re-enable imap in /etc/xinetd.d/imap, but everything else was
pre-configured), and I have had no problems using it.

I can't guarantee that it's secure (I'm on a protected LAN and haven't
needed to worry about internal security).  You should probably stick with
qmail, and the imap service should still work as long as qmail still uses
/var/spool/mail to store incoming mail.  I don't know if the imap service
itself has any security holes, though.
As for the clients, I have successfully used the IMAP service on systems
running MS Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, and Mozilla Mail.  There are
countless others that I haven't tried, but should work just fine.

If you want to use secure imap, just enable imaps on the server instead of
imap (usually under /etc/xinetd.d).  Most e-mail clients support secure IMAP
and secure POP, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

I've never tried to set up web-based e-mail, but someone else here can
probably help you with that.